Monday, May 26, 2008

Remember

I'm here blog!  See!  Writing!  Now stop hassling me, mkay?  

Anyway...

Today was a pretty good day.  The Mr. surprised me and offered to take all of us to breakfast.  I have a quite a fondness for breakfast in every sense of the word, so I cried a little.  Good tears, my invisible friends, good tears.

It being Memorial day it took three tries but we ended up at Golden Corral, which was perfectly good for our little family.  The boys got exactly what they wanted and The Mr. and I did pretty good ourselves.  We did some random driving around after that, I can't really remember.

The deal was that if Winston behaved while we were at breakfast then we would get to go to the beach this afternoon.  That is Winston's most favorite place in the world.  So after naps and some play time with the new kittens, we went to eat again (I know, FANCY).  We had great Mexican food at a place we ate at the first time for our 6th anniversary in April.   Serious negotiating was done to keep Winston in the booth until the end of meal, but he managed.  He got up once to "Go to the hole-station".  This is his word for a gas station.  Apparently he had to pee and was just going to take himself since he could see the bathroom sign.  Never mind the kid can't get his own pants down and peeter out to save his life.  He was very funny about it too.  All snooty mcsnootypants.  I took him and then we were off to the beach.

We had a fabulous time in the water.  The boys love the beach, and Winston got to go up in the sand dunes with The Mr. for the first time.  They saw a snake hole and "climbed a mountain" and talked about all the animals that depend on the sand dunes for food a shelter.  Very good trip.  

Once we were home all that energy saved up behaving to go to the beach was unleashed and Winston was a major bungholio.  BUT.  I keep trying to remember that I want him to feel comfortable acting that way around us for as long as possible.  I want him to know it's ok to be mad and extremely tired and cranky.  The Mr said, "I have unconditional love for you, Winston.  Even when you act all cranky and crazy.  Because I don't want you to grow up with bad self esteem and become a man slaughterer"  I said, "Say, ""Thank you, Papa!"" "  And Winston said all cheery and perky, "Thank you Papa for telling me that story!!"  It was hilarious invisible people.  That would all be a reference from Wild At Heart in case ya'll cared.  Young Nicholas Cage and Laura Dern.  

I actually remembered all day long that it was Memorial Day.  It felt heavy to me this year because of Ted Kennedy's recent diagnosis.  I heard him speak just a couple of months ago and he was so much everything you think he should be.  I just found out about Huckabee and Hilary's comment about Obama and Bobby Kennedy.  It hurts me that she would say those things, but what does she care?  God Bless her family, and the Kennedys and Obamas.  They are all important to our history regardless of what happens in November.  Hopefully Huckabee will disappear, along with Bush, eventually.  

That's all I've got for tonight.

No comments: