Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's my Bloggy and I'll Write What I Want To!

So, Halloween. It's coming. My house is decorated, not the extent it was last year, but pretty done up none the less. My boys costumes are almost finished as is mine and my husband's. I found out this week that the Festival at my husband's school (he's a professor, ooh lala!) is actually on Halloween night. Our plan is to take the boys Trick or Treating around the neighborhood early (5-6ish) and then head over to the "Festibul" as Winston termed it last year. So my question is, do I keep my costume on to go to this thing? Or do I take it off? The last time I went in full costume I was Frida Khalo and won second in the costume contest. This year I'll be Bella a la Prom from Twilight. What do you think?




Also, Wednesday's birthday is ON Thanksgiving this year. My parents are planning on coming, which I'm actually excited about. Usually it's just me and my boys, hubby included, on Thanksgiving. We usually see my MIL at some point during the day and even eat at her house some years. Even so, I've never gotten to share the traditions I've started for my own little family with my parents and I'm so looking forward to it. We have our own food traditions that I've established in the past few years, on top of all the fun things I want to do for Wednesday's birthday.



I was having trouble coming up with a theme, and then it hit me that I can do over the top Thanksgiving stuff! In the newest Parents magazine they have a pattern to cut out Turkey feathers to put on the back on a kid's high chair. I could do that for everyone! And the new Martha Stewart Living has a recipe for Candy Cornucopias which is so freakin cute. I already have a lot of Fall/Thanksgiving decorations, and can continue to find/make things before the party. I want the boys to do a big collage again this year. Last year it was Halloween themed, but this year I want it to be Thanksgiving/Birthday/Winter so we can hang it up for Wednesday's party! Also, instead of part hats I thought I could make a bunch of pilgrim hats. No head dresses as I can't bring myself to be THAT historically inaccurate! Dream catchers might be nice to have for everyone. Happy wishes for everyone after a Happy Birthday!







To make things extra special for him, I was thinking of doing a birthday meal either the night before or after, depending on when my parents are here. That way we can continue our every-Thanksgiving eats as usual, and still have a fun meal for birthday time. I'm thinking butternut squash lasagna, turkey meatballs in the crockpot, and green bean casserole that has chips on the top instead of the onion things. I want to make my appley cake I made for Winston's class at camp and maybe a pie as well!


So in honor of all things Halloween and a Thanksgiving birth, here are some links to the crafts I'm talking about and the Halloween websites I love:





Thanksgiving Crafts: Pilgrim Hats Arts & Crafts - and More Great Family Fun Craft Ideas Pilgrim Hats for my little turkeys!


Make a Dream Catcher for Kids Dream-Catchers.org Dream Catchers for Wednesday's B-day.


A Nostalgic Halloween Just beautiful inspiring artwork.


Bella's Prom Dress by ~Erynne-L on deviantART My ensemble is based on this dress, because it's the one Stephenie Meyer had in mind when she wrote Twilight. Mine is not so releaving, and actually a sleeveless dress with a lace shirt underneath.


http://belladia.typepad.com/crafty_crow/ So many good craft projects from all over the interenet!


http://www.shadowmanor.com/blog/ The Art of Darkness, I read here everyday!

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/a_fanciful_twist/2008/10/halloween-extravaganza.html An online Halloween Fete, so gorgeous!

http://community.livejournal.com/twilight_crafts/ Twlighty Goodness

http://www.marthastewart.com/goodthings/candy-cornucopias?autonomy_kw=cornucopia&rsc=header_6 Candy Cornucopias

No comments: