Monday, September 8, 2008

Hurry Cain

There's another one coming and I am so scared.  I know that we can leave in plenty of time, but this hurricane season has been so very stressful.  

To suddenly have to pack up everything important and carry it off; it makes me cry.  Winston was a baby when Katrina hit, and seeing all those babies suffering on Tv was unbearable.  My parents were affected my Katrina too, they live in La as well, but not in a directly personal way.

When Rita came soon after they evacuated our town and we didn't leave.  We barely even got any rain, and leaving would have been silly.

Gustav stranded my parents here and left them without power for close to a week, and there are people just down the road that won't have power for a month.

Ike is headed toward Texas/Mexico and I just want him to disappear.  It is hard for me to pray for it to go somewhere else.  I don't want anyone injured or suffering.  But I don't want to lose my home or somehow hurt my kids by them having to go through a hurricane.

I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow.  I have to bring snack for Winston's class on Thursday, but I also need to restock the pantry with canned food; just in case.  I told him when we went for a walk that there was a chance we might have to leave this weekend.  He turned around and buried his face in my tummy.  "It's not coming right now is it?"  No baby, not for a long while, but I just wanted you to know.  "But right now the sidewalk is regular, and the cars are regular, and the trees are regular"  Yes baby, everything is regular right now.  I love you.  "I love you too, Mama."

And we walked around the block together.  He got a piggyback ride and I carried him part of the way.  My huge boy that is my heart.  

Safe, God.  Please.  A small storm?  Anne Lamott's prayer always helps me:  Please, please, please.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

4 comments:

CP said...

Oh wow- I haven't been following Ike so much after Gustav and Hannah came through. What are they predicting? Is it going to hit you guys? Please please please stay safe!

Kim/2 Kids said...

Stay Safe, I love, love, love Anne Lamott. Thinking of you.

bigmama said...

we are getting ready for a typhoon here in the Pacific Ocean side as well...sending you prayers...take care...

Whimsy said...

I've missed your updates - but how terrible to have this be the first topic to tackle.

The world can be such a scary place, can't it? I hope you're all safe and sound and snug. Update soon - let us know that you're okay.