Saturday, July 18, 2009

Scenes from Almost and Saturday

Late last night I finished my book.  I was, and still am sad that it's over, as the author hasn't written as more non-fiction that I can tell.  Still too awake to fall asleep with Wednesday, I went to Amazon.com and began my insomnia ritual of going through all my lists.  Did you know you can leave comments for yourself on your wishlist?  Adding a few words for the things I'd saved for Christmas or Halloween was very satisfying.  I am also feeling very "called" to homeschool the boys, in some context, these days.  I found a bunch of good looking books for beginners, and then stumbled upon a couple of Listmanias that really shortened my search.  But I still wasn't sleepy, in my brain or otherwise, so I went to look at the cookbooks.  Oh the lovely cookbooks!  I think I saved about 30 to my wishlist.  (Like this one, and this one, and this one, Oh My!)  I had just started a search for baby and Mama yoga DVD's when the battery on my laptop died.  I gave the sleeping 2 year old a large pouty lip and reluctantly got under the covers to go to sleep.

Now, as I write this silliness, I'm sitting on the bed in the boys room in the middle of a de-funked naptime.  The big boys went to the beach with friends this morning while Wednesday and I tackled the farmers' market (where I could feel the sweat dripping down my legs) and Target (where a grown man couldn't say "excuse me", but instead just pulled out in front of my very full cart on the way to check out).  When we all got home, the plan was for the boys to come nap with me in our bed and for The Mr. to finish cleaning up beach stuff and read.  I sang the songs and held the hands and patted the parts, but neither of my creatures would sleep.  Winston started fiddling with the tag on a stuffed animal in the co-sleeper and Wednesday just wouldn't keep his arms still.  So I told Winston to go "out there" with Papa if he didn't want to nap so we wouldn't have to fight about his behavior.  Then, I realized that Wednesday wasn't going to go back down either.  Sigh...  "Do you want to go back nigh-night or do you want to get up?"  Get up, of course.  So I took a much needed shower and brought Wednesday to the front of the house, thinking we could just move along with our big meal of the day and I would just push past my tireds again.  

Now, or course, Winston has decided to take a nap on the couch, and I got shooed out of my own living room.  Rocking and holding didn't produce more nappage for the little one, so now I'm here and he's there <<<<<  playing with Handy Manny and pulling books out of the shelf.

Happy Saturday, my dears.  I hope your nap times are long and your patience isn't short.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It REALLY sucks when they refuse to nap. I can't believe how much *I* need that naptime. :)