Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'm Back! (mostly, anyway)

So I'm on the way to feeling human again. I'm tired of talking about that. So I won't.

We got home from our short trip on Saturday. Friday we went to the Natural Science Museum and saw 2 really great exhibits. The first was a Butterfly sanctuary kind of thing with a bug "zoo" along with it. The boys really loved looking at all of the different bugs. They had cave cockroaches (not icky), hissing cockroaches (very very icky), millipedes, centipedes, tarantulas, etc. There was also an entire wall of butterflies in various stages of coming out of their chrysalises. We saw one with only it's head out, a gorgeous monarch walking around for the first time, and a black and white butterfly whose wings hadn't dried yet. That was really amazing to see.

Then we went out to the actually sanctuary part. There were so many different kinds of butterflies! They kept flying right in front of me where I'd have to step back. I kept saying "woo!". So intelligent, right? Anyway. Winston saw about 5 HUGE butterflies eating at a little nectar station they had set up and Wednesday pointed out a black and red butterfly to me. They really enjoy it. And we got to stand under a waterfall (we didn't get wet) at the end of it!

After a short rest we saw DINOSAURS!!! And Winston was seriously impressed. They had skeletons and recreations and fossils. I don't think I had ever been to a dinosaur museum, and if I had it hadn't been since I was a child. It was very humbling to see a dinosaur I had always thought was the size of like an extra -super -big sea turtle that is actually the size of 12 bears! Wednesday was so funny. He kept saying, "So High!" and he'd throw his head back and look at the tall dinosaurs. He finally let me put him down toward the end of the visit and went and watched the chemistry video they had playing about 6 times while he climbed on the seats. Winston went through a whole kid-centered Earth science section of the museum with my mom who is an Earth Science teacher. They had a great time, and Isaac new his planets (Thanks Blue's Clues) and my Mom was so surprised and happy.

The Next day before we came home we went to the Children's Museum. Crazy! A Cacophony of kids and Mommies and workers and oh my. It was fun. We went to Mexico, we saw a giant man made out of telephones, we painted our faces. There was an entire grocery store of pretend food. I have never seen so much plastic food in my life! There were baby chicks, that Wednesday started bobbing his head at like they were doing under the plastic. There was so so much to do I can't even remember half of it. It was super good times, though.


To finish, please send my pumpkins happy pumpkin thoughts. They have been neglected since it quit raining and I got sick. They were VERY droopy when I went out there. I watered the heck out of them though and they look appreciative. I talked to them and apologized. The Ol' Zebs are putting out flowers! AHHHH!

No comments: